Friday, October 3, 2014

Letter project

My first step in the process of creating my letter was the brainstorm. I chose the letter "y" just because I like it's shape, but when I made a thought-web, there weren't many nouns that started with y. So instead I thought about how the letter sounded and eventually realized that "why" spells out "y" and is also a word. And not only is it a word, but one of the most important questions ever, or something. So I came up with a design of a y with a "wh" inside the curl of it. 

 I liked the shape of the "y," but I decided that it was too confusing to include more than one letter in a project that was about making one, so with my next draft I attempted to make the "wh" more subtle by putting it inside the y. I like the idea of having the letters inside the y, but I didn't like their shape or the colors I had used.
 I finally moved on to my final draft, and it became the most challenging part of the process. I prefer my artwork to be simple and well executed, but that was really hard to achieve with magic marker and sharpie. I worked very carefully in trying to keep the exact same y shape I had in my draft while also making it larger. That took a lot of math and ruler lines to do so, but I ended up replicating the shape pretty well.

However I really don't like the w. I made the h really neat and I think it looks great, but that makes the w look really sloppy in comparison. Although looking back, I feel that I may have had more room to experiment with colors if I used my first draft idea, and so if I could redo the project I would just use that idea. That way could use different colors for the w and h instead of just black. I really like experimenting with different color combinations in my artwork, and that is something didn't really get to do with my final idea. But overall I think I did a really good job of the shape of the y, and I am also proud of my concept. 

14 comments:

  1. If you could use other colors to pattern the "w", "h", and "y", which colors would you choose?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your project a lot!! It is VERY clean-cut and neat. I like how you changed your mind and took out the yellow in the "why," I think that is what made it more subtle and like a surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very Very creative! you are a man with great out of the box thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very Precise and detailed, I like the question why in the "Y" it just makes it so much more fun to see

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why did you go with the letter y, is there is deeper meaning behind it like a story?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is great! I didn't even notice the why at first but this really does add some depth to the concept. Your coloring is awesome as well

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow i really like the final piece. The dark red is very vibrant and stands out from the thick black outline. I also like the fact that you encorparated the word "Why" in your letter "Y" aswell. Much props to you sir.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like that you decided to not color in the WH in yellow in one of the drafts and used a darker red because it makes it stand out as well as almost hides the extra letters, since I didn't see those letters at first.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your piece really caught my eye because of how clean cut it is. It was really clever to put the wh in the y which made everything even more unique. I also feel like your choice of colors really made the letter pop from the page. It is great that you only used two colors because there aren't as much distractions on that paper, so when I look at it I just see a big red y.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like the simple concept, the why inside the "y". This can also bring a deeper meaning because it can bring the theme of curiousness and questioning. For example, why isn't why spelled just "y" or even a deeper question. Why are we living in this world today? I love the how the red just brings attention to the "Y" because I know that it will be the focal point for this project.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your project made me start thinking of different ways to represent both the letter y and the word why. Maybe instead of writing why just have y and then a question mark? just a thought. Great work, very neat and well done

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved your concept!! It conveys a really interesting idea/question.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I liked how you went through the thought process, it was a different way of viewing things

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great project I too would like to see different colors to be used so that it can sting onto the eye more

    ReplyDelete