Saturday, October 4, 2014

Inspiration


There's a lot of musicians that inspire me, but most of them influence the melodies I write and how my music sounds, however The Cramps were the first band to influence how I approached music. The Cramps are pretty awful musicians in terms of technical skill, as the guitarist basically plays the same thing song and the lead singer is screaming more than he is singing, but they still had variety in their music some of the most energy I've ever heard in a recorded song or live performance. This is because, although they couldn't play as well as most musicians, they put extreme care in to making their songs. In an alternate recording of their song "I Was a Teenage Werewolf" the lead singer, Lux Interior, screams at the recording engineer for stopping their recording and trying to change the song. Though it seems like Lux just has some anger issues, it showed me that they really cared about their music and weren't they weren't going to take shit from anyone. 




The other amazing trait of The Cramps, as I mentioned before, was their energy. They truly enjoyed playing music, and it was obviously something they did for themselves since they really didn't make much money, and it showed on stage. In the video at the top of the post Lux is just doing whatever he wants and enjoying it, and in return the crowed is going crazy too. That concept is so exciting and fun to me, which is just enjoying yourself while doing whatever you want to do. That is how The Cramps have inspired me, and it's also something that can be applied to more than music. They happened to be a band, but it's about doing whatever makes you happy, because that's how you're going to get the most enjoyment out of life, no matter how much money you make or fame you have. 

No comments:

Post a Comment